Maintaining a luxury watch is not as difficult as one might think, but it is important to follow some basic watch repair guidelines to keep your timepiece looking and functioning like new.
Here you will learn about 8 tips for maintaining your luxury watch. Whether you own a Rolex, Patek Philippe, or another high-end brand, these tips will help you keep your watch in excellent condition!
1. Basic Guidelines for Maintaining a Luxury Watch
Be sure to have your watch serviced by a qualified watchmaker in Denver, CO, every three to five years. This will ensure that your watch runs accurately and all parts are in working order.
- Avoid exposing your watch to extreme temperatures, whether it’s hot or cold.
- Keep your watch away from magnets as they can interfere with the movement.
- Gentle bumps can knock your watch out of alignment, so avoid dropping it or knocking it against hard surfaces.
- Be careful when using household cleaners as they can damage the finish on your watch case and bracelet.
2. How Often Should You Clean Your Watch?
- You should clean your watch regularly to keep it looking its best. Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe away any dirt or fingerprints.
- If your watch is water-resistant, you can use mild soap and lukewarm water to clean it. Be sure to rinse it well and dry it with a soft cloth.
- Never use harsh chemicals, such as acetone or ammonia, to clean your watch as they can damage the case and bracelet.
- If you are not confident about cleaning a watch by yourself, you should take to a reliable watch repair service in your city for cleaning and maintenance.
3. What Type of Cleaning Products Should You Use?
When it comes time to clean your luxury watch, you need to be careful about the products you use. Harsh chemicals can damage the delicate finish on the watch, so it is best to avoid using them. Instead, opt for a mild soap or detergent and a soft cloth. Gently wipe the watch with the damp cloth, paying special attention to the band. Once you have finished cleaning the watch, dry it off with a soft towel before putting it back on. By taking care not to damage your luxury watch while cleaning it, you can keep it looking like new for years to come. Hence, you should make it a point to take the luxury timepiece to watch repair service regularly.
4. How Do You Care for the Band and Clasp?
- If your watch has a leather strap, avoid getting it wet as this can cause the leather to deteriorate. If it does get wet, dry it off with a soft cloth as soon as possible.
- When putting on or taking off your watch, be careful not to pull on the strap or bracelet as this can cause it to stretch out of shape.
- If your watch has a metal bracelet, you can use a soft toothbrush to clean between the links. This will help remove any dirt or grime that has built up over
- Cleaning bands and clasp can be difficult, and you might end up damaging your watch. Hence, it is always a good idea to take it to a trusted watch repair service where professionals will do the cleaning with years of experience.
5. What Type of Storage Case Is Best for Watches?
- When you’re not wearing your watch, store it in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid storing your watch in direct sunlight as this can cause the color of the strap or bracelet to fade.
- If you have multiple watches, it’s best to store them in individual cases to prevent them from scratching each other.
6. How to Deal With Scratches?
If your watch becomes scratched, you can try using a jeweler’s rouge to buff out the scratch. However, if the scratch is too deep, you need to take it to a qualified watchmaker for repair.
7. Never Open Your Watch by Yourself
One of the most important things you can do to preserve the value and longevity of your watch is to have it serviced regularly by a qualified watch repair service. However, trying to service your watch yourself is generally not a good idea, as even a simple mistake can cause serious damage.
Even something seemingly innocuous as opening the case without the proper tools can scratch the watch’s surface or cause other problems. If you’re unsure how to service your watch properly, it’s best to leave it to the professionals at a Denver, CO watch repair service. Doing so will help ensure that your watch stays in good working order for years.
8. Care for the Crystal
One of the most important components of a luxury watch is the crystal, which helps to protect the dial and hands from damage. Unfortunately, over time, the crystal can become scratched or cracked, impacting the ability to read the time accurately.
Cleaning the crystal regularly can help prevent this type of damage, and there are a number of different ways to clean it safely. For example, using a soft cloth, distilled water, and mild soap, you can gently wipe away any dirt or debris accumulated on the surface.
If the crystal is particularly dirty, you may need a toothbrush or soft-bristled brush to reach all of the tiny crevices. Be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can permanently damage the crystal. It is always advised to take it to watch repair service. Because with proper care, your luxury watch will continue to look new for many years.
Why Should You Select Best Jeweler to Service Your Luxury Watch?
Luxury watches are a significant investment, and you must select a jeweler you can trust to provide quality service. A reputable watch service will have experience servicing luxury watches and use only the best replacement parts. They will also offer a warranty on their work, so you can ensure that your watch is in good hands.
In addition, a good jeweler in Denver, CO, will take the time to explain the repair process to you and answer any questions you may have. By selecting the best jeweler to service your watch, you can be confident that your investment will be well-cared for.
Matheu’s Fine Watches & Jewelry are experts in watch repair, with trained staff with the experience necessary to fix your timepiece safely. In addition, they often have parts and tools not available elsewhere, making them better able to handle even the most challenging repairs.
You can visit us at our watch repair stores between 10 am to 6 pm Tuesdays to Fridays, and 10 am to 5 pm on Saturdays. You can also call us at our customer service numbers or drop an email; we will be happy to help.